Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Memory Stones

Click here to read Joshua 4

I can't help but think that when Joshua told the 12 men to go and pick up a stone and bring it back to the camp that there was at least one that thought about getting a little stone, one that would be easy to carry. At least, that would be what would go through my mind! 

There are a lot of things that serve as "memory stones" in our lives. Pictures, videos, journal/diary entries. Even certain smells can cause us to remember something from the past - good or bad. A lot of the music I listen to serves as memory stones, transporting me back to days with high school and college friends, concerts that we saw, trips we took. They all serve to remind me of great times of laughter and sharing. Whenever I hear Tom Petty's "Free Falling" I remember a trip  I took with my son and daughter (Jonathan and Cassie) where, every time we played the song, we would sing it at the top of out lungs.
 
But there are also things that remind me of the bad times. Someone you see, even in a picture, an old letter or card or documents that I may have held on to for some strange reason. They remind me of pain, struggle, a sense of loss, and confusion. And yet, those memories - those stones, can serve a positive purpose, even in their negative history. They may remind us of the negative times but, if we don't obsess about that, they can serve to show that we have moved on, recovered, healed, grown stronger, overcome! That is, if we aren't clinging to these negative things and reopening old wounds and feelings, which some people tend to do. That's not good for us and it prevents us from moving forward, healing and growing and learning from those difficult experiences.

How do we go about developing memory stones that remind us of what God has done in our lives? That is what I asked myself as I read through this chapter. Sure, all of the afore mentioned "stones" can be part of that pointing to God but should there not be more specific memory stones in my life that directly point to God and what he has done? Scripture does, certain people do, the cross around my neck does (though it's significance has changed a bit since I lost my original cross - 15 years I had that cross!), places - like a church or a certain geographical location, certain gestures - like the making of the cross with my hand across my body, or kneeling, even walking a labyrinth; these "memory stones" can direct my thoughts and memories to God.

And let us not forget the sacraments, or, as Wesley referred to them, the graces of God: communion, prayer, worship, our baptism, reaching out to and serving others. These all serve to bring us back, or to remind us of, our place with God and the love he has poured out on us.

I would hope that, as I stand in the middle of whatever dry riverbed that God has led me through, and he tells me to pick out a stone to remember this event through which he was glorified and worked in my life, that I will pick up the biggest and most perfectly shaped stone there is and put it where I will always be reminded: 

"He did this so all the nations of the earth might know that the Lord’s hand is powerful, and so you might fear the Lord your God forever.” (Joshua 4:24)
Holy God, remind me of who you are. Stir up my memory of what you have done in my life. Help me to tell others the stories of God, the mercy you have poured out and the love you bestow. May my very life serve as a memory stone to others. Amen.



1 comment:

note on life said...

Memories of what God has already done give me hope for what he is going to do this time...when I am in the dry river bed picking up stones to keep for remembering.