Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Foreskin, Spare Skin, and Bare Skin

Click here to read Joshua 5

I've been sitting on this 5th chapter for over a week now. It's been one of those chapters that just wasn't flowing right in my head - not that anything flows right in my head but let's move on.

As I thought about the first verse the realization came to me that, because I am in Christ, all the enemies that I face in my life - physical or spiritual - are defeated foes. Now, that's a nice thought to have but I admit that I don't often live with that being an active truth in my life. I can be all too quick to be controlled or impacted by enemies than to face them head on. I am learning, however, to not shy away but to stand firm, as Paul writes:
Therefore take up the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand on that evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. (Ephesians 6:13)
It's interesting that the leaders and people in Canaan and the surrounding area were so afraid of the Israelites because they had heard "how the Lord" had done some pretty amazing things. It says that they had "lost heart" and were "paralyzed with fear". You know, when God is working in a persons life, and when we allow God to work, people around us will sense that something is different and are often uncomfortable around such a person. There's something about the power of God at work that makes people who are distant from God uneasy. God's power is strange that way. Could it be that even his power has a convicting quality about it?

Foreskin
As we move into verses 2-9 we are confronted with a somewhat awkward situation. At least, whenever we're talking about sharp objects and cutting and really sensitive areas of the body, I get nervous. I had never realized that all those Jews that had been born while on the road to the promised land were never circumcised. Now, imagine what must have gone through their heads as they stood on the brink of taking the promised land by storm, knowing that all its residents were paralyzed with fear, and Joshua comes along and says, "Hey folks. Great news. We're going to have a circumcision party! Line up and let's get a cuttin..." This isn't what they taught military leaders to do to win battles. Why would God require this of them and why at this moment?

Two things, I think. First, circumcision was a sign of God's covenant with Abraham and it stood as a symbol for Israel's faith in God's promises. So, doing it now was God, in a way, re-declaring his covenant to his people - a whole new generation, and they were declaring their faith in God's promises. Secondly, God doesn't usually do things according to what we think is normal! And this sure wasn't normal. A normal approach would be to attack while the people are full of enthusiasm and the Canaanites are scared to death. Then, after your victory, you have the circumcisions done. God's way? Have the cutting first, take several days to recover, and then go into battle.

Talk about trust! But think about this: shouldn't there be consecration/reconsecration before we take action in our lives, in the decisions of the church? What I mean is, before I go into action, if I want God to be the one in charge and at work, don't I need to consecrate myself - recommitting myself and my trust in God? What God doesn't have, he typically won't use.

Spare Skin
Once they recovered from their surgery, they celebrated the Passover. This was an act of worship that reminded them of God sparing their lives, and of what he had promised and was now fulfilling. The Psalms are filled with examples of the author calling out to God for help and guidance, questioning and struggling, and then he pauses and remembers what God has done in the past. When he does this, his focus changes, and there is a fresh confidence that God will answer and work again. When we are faced with doubts and uncertainties, and when we find ourselves in the midst of difficulties, remembering what God has done in our lives can be a source of strength. We need to have our own "Passover" rituals, one could say.

But their celebrating Passover was more than just remembering the past, it was a preparation for their future. Notice what happens after they celebrate Passover:
On the day after the passover, on that very day, they ate the produce of the land, unleavened cakes and parched grain. The manna ceased on the day they ate the produce of the land, and the Israelites no longer had manna; they ate the crops of the land of Canaan that year. (Joshua 5:11-12)
Another act of God fulfilling his promise! And yet I wonder how many began to grumble because there wasn't any manna provided by God as there had been for decades. Now what they ate they made by their own hands from the land God had provided. There's one word that came to my mind as I read this: CHANGE!

We don't like change very much, and it doesn't usually matter when that change comes about because of God being at work. Just look at the church. Churches are notorious for being resistant to change. We do what we do because we've always done it that way. We're comfortable with it. But here in this passage we see God changing how he works to meet the needs of his people. I find reassurance here - that in the midst of change, which is going to happen whether I like it or not, God's resources are more than enough to meet the needs, to help me adjust to those changes, and to make changes in my life that are needed as well.

Bare Skin
The last three verses lead me to three things:
1) It's not that God is on my side that is important, it's that I need to be on God's. We tend to go about life wanting God to be in our corner, helping us out, supporting our cause, but it needs to be the other way around - us submitting and following him. Jesus put it this way: "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me" (Matthew 16:24). Nuff said.

2) When we let God be in control of our lives, and our situations, not only will God be present with us but he will also provide us with what we need to accomplish the task. Philippians 4:13 reminds me that, "I can do all things through him (Christ) who strengthens me."

3) That the first step, and the last, in winning the battles is to worship God and submit to him. Somewhere I came across the following quote and wrote it down, and it fits to this third point:
"We can only enter into the battle so that we experience God’s deliverance when we remove our sandals and submit to His authority and His presence and power." 
Back when Moses was the leader, and he and the people were standing on the edge of the Red Sea being chased by the Egyptians, he turned to the people and said:
"Do not be afraid, stand firm, and see the deliverance that the LORD will accomplish for you today." (Exodus 14:13)  
You know, I like to think that I have my act together and that I can handle whatever comes my way. But then, when I'm in the midst of my struggle, I find myself ill equipped and often overwhelmed. My first mistake was thinking that I could handle it by myself, which led me to my second mistake - thinking that I can do it without God. Wrong! But when I turn to God first, remind myself of what he has done for me in the past, and seek his will in the present and the future, then the battle is already won - through his strength, with his gifts, by his guidance.
Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:6-7) 
Good words to live by!


1 comment:

note on life said...

Covenant was re-established after a generation lost in the space between. Sometimes that is how it feels right now doesn't it? On the edges of the promised land...