Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Shack

I have just finished a wonderful, thought provoking, and moving book called "The Shack" by William P. Young. Once I started to get into it, I couldn't put it down! It is a thriller, a mystery, an emotional and spiritual roller coaster, that caused you to search yourself as the main character is going through his own personal search.

Oddly, the book is not without some controversy. Having read the book, I can't see what the fuss is all about. It helped me grasp some "theological" concepts while it made think about others. Christianity Today has done several articles that might be worth a read:
1. Reading in Good Faith
2. Fiction for the Faith-Starved
3. The Trinity: So What?

There may be some things that some Christian readers will find disturbing, especially theologically. You can get a hint of that from reading a few of the reviews on Amazon.com. But for me, the book was more about hope and love, forgiveness and healing, and about an intimate relationship with an Almighty God.

So I encourage you to get a copy, read the above articles, even the Amazon reviews, and then get settled in a favorite reading place, hold your cup of whatever in one hand, the book in another, and begin to be touched and moved.

1 comment:

Jim Elder said...

My son dropped me an email in response to my blog. With his permission, I am posting it because of what he had to say.

Dad,
I bought "The Shack" yesterday and just finished it. I couldn't put it down. I had typed and deleted a sentence here 5 times. I can't explain some of the things that have woken up, been encouraged, been challenged, in my heart. I not really sure what the fuss is about. I think perhaps it is because Young takes God and says "Here He is, all three parts of Him and He WILL NOT fit in any box that we have for Him" and people don't like a God that doesn't fit in our box. I want my kids to read it, I want my pastor to read it, I want my church to read it, if only to get a glimpse of what God truly is. Oh, Dad, there were times (even now as I'm remembering some of the conversation) that I was in tears. Tears of joy, of relief, of thanks... I just wanted you to know that I read it, and you were the second person to recommend it but when the recommendation came from you I knew I had to get it. I love you.

Jon