Monday, September 03, 2007

In Honor of My Mother's 70th Birthday

My mother turned 70 last week. I hope she doesn't mind me declaring to the world her age but she does wear it well.

My mom's a pretty special lady. She'd have to be to have someone as special as me! And to put up with my two younger brothers!!! She's been through a lot in her life - life has, indeed, thrown her a few curves. But she came through them stronger, more committed to the Lord, and more understanding. Generally speaking.

I'm sure she has shaken her head over her adult children many a time because of the way we do things, the way we live our lives, the things she has found out about us when we were growing up that she didn't know at the time. And I know she spends an awful lot of time praying for us all. No doubt, we still need it.

She has taken my hand in hers on several occasions and told me just how much she loves me and prays for me; how she has spoken many words of encouragement to me and my family in our uncertain times. At times it has been her strength that has helped us to find ours.

She's going through some more changes, even now at this stage in her life. Selling her house, building a new one, having to sort through many of her belongings that she has gathered over the years and decide what she can take and what must be gotten rid of. She has watched first one, then another, of her sons move away while a third was already several hours away. She is having to say goodbye to a church family she has loved and cared for for many years and find another church home. These are hard things to go through but, even in the tears, she has trusted in the Lord, knowing his hand will make a way.

I came across this video clip the other day and it made me laugh. I thought of my mom - and, yes, there are some similarities. The comedian is Chonda Pierce. She is too funny. This is in honor of my Mother, who I love with all my heart, miss terribly, and am thankful she decided to pick me up from the side of the road and make me hers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What can I say but thanks, Son. "I'll love you for always, I'll love
you forever...."

- Mom