Monday, February 25, 2008

Ramblings

My mind is in a very wandering mode this evening. I want to write, have had things I've wanted to write down but it's been difficult to get them in order and to keep focused.

I went with the youth of my church to Columbia, SC for the concert Winter Jam that consisted of about 6 Christian bands: one I don't remember, Mandisa, Newsong, Skillett, Barlowgirl, and MercyMe. 15,000 people were there, mostly under the age of 25. Truly felt like the odd man out, as I sat and watched these kids/young adults dance, sing, and worship. It was a great night, except I lost my hearing about half way through when Skillett took the stage. Straight hard metal rock. If you've seen the film "Spinal Tap" you might remember the scene where the group is talking about their sound system and how all the other groups turn up their sound to 10 but they can do them one better because all their equipment can go to 11! Well, I believe all the groups had their volumes up to 11. However, MercyMe actually turned it down a notch or two. They said that about 1000 kids accepted Christ for the first time that night!

I have read many books on church growth and about changing the direction of a church. I have often found them discouraging, beyond my abilities, or I was unable to connect with what they were saying. A few weeks ago I picked up yet another book about church revitalization, with some apprehension, entitled "Comeback Churches," by Ed Stetzer. I have been very surprised. I have found it very insightful, challenging, and inspiring. It is a book that should be read by every pastor and even church leaders. The author(s) looked at 300 plus churches that had stagnated in their church growth or that were dying (or almost dead) and what they did to turn around and grow again. They first looked at "comeback" leaders/pastors and what their role is in the process and then at the church itself and what was done in attitude, outlook, and outreach to turn things around. What they find is quite an eye opener.

Another book along the same lines that I read a couple of years ago was "Discover Your Windows: Lining Up with God's Vision." It is another book that I found very helpful. In fact, at the church I pastored in Birmingham (Lee's Chapel) we had the congregation read the book and then discussed on Wednesday nights. I believe it was instrumental to turning that church's thinking and direction around. Whereas I think every pastor and church leader should read "Comeback Churches," I think every member should read "Discover Your Windows."

I've been doing a series of Sunday messages on the Holy Spirit at my church. Started a few weeks ago - not sure how long I will go but I have found it not only challenging to my own life but have found the church very responsive as well. I haven't had a Sunday go by during the series that I haven't had someone tell me that what they heard was new to them. And what it has be asking is, when it comes to the things of the Holy Spirit (doctrine, experience), I wonder if we in the UMC are really making Him know as we should through our preaching and teaching. How can we expect God to use His church if we aren't open to the power of the Spirit and how can we be open if it's not be preached?

Just some thoughts running around my head...

No comments: